30 July 2011

Curry, wine, and laundry

Until about two weeks ago, I had still been using a nearly obsolete cellphone that I bought secondhand almost six years ago. It had gotten to be a bit of a novelty, actually. It was sort of amusing to watch internet access and high resolution flash photography become increasingly common on cellular phones, while my own phone bore the name of a service provider that no longer existed.
I finally bought a smart phone, and while the internet-on-your-cellphone thing seems to be more of a luxury than anything, I am wondering how I got on for so long without the ability to take reference photos for drawing at nearly any time. I took the photo to the left while walking through an alley near my apartment. I admittedly know next to nothing about photography, but I've always been something of a reference photo junkie when it comes to drawing and painting. Since I'm currently working on over a dozen new paintings/drawings for an upcoming exhibition, having a little camera in my pocket at all times has been rather helpful.
Since Flatstock 30 has ended, I've resumed work on a whole mess of new work for an exhibition with Jay Ryan in Hamburg, Germany. Jay and I will be showing a bunch of drawings and paintings at Feinkunst Krüger Gallery. The exhibition is called "Das Pferd aus Illinois," and there will be an opening reception on September 10th, 2011. Both Jay and I will be at the opening.
I will also be doing a joint poster art show with Senor Burns in Munich on September 15th, 2011 in Munich (
Foyer Bürogemeinschaft Westermühlstraße 32, 80469 München)

Lots of other fun stuff on the way, including Flatstock Europe 6 and a rock poster exhibition in Leuven, Belgium. More info on that soon.

No comments: