20 May 2011

Wagon Wheel

On the coast of North Carolina, less than half a mile from the house we stayed in is a huge pier. You can see people fishing from the pier every day, and the local brown pelicans (like this handsome fellow) sometimes hang out to eat bait fish or wait to be fed the tiny fish that some people catch. Other wildlife cameos this week included appearances by laughing gulls, boat-tailed grackles, sanderlings, a stingray, and some dolphins.
It's been a rather relaxing week here on the coast. We swam in the ocean and got tossed around by big waves. We talked, played guitars, and laughed a whole lot. I did some concept sketches for paintings. We watched our good friend get married on the beach right behind the house we rented for the week.
The last time I was on the coast in North Carolina was when I was nineteen and on tour with my old band. Many of the people I spent this week with were connected to that band or that tour in some way. I remember staying with friends in Wilmington one night on that trip and wondering what it might be like to relocate to this area someday. My mind has begun wandering in similar directions the past couple of days, but I know that Chicago is still and will always be home to me.

Speaking of Chicago, if you're in the area, you should know that my friends in Sonnenzimmer have an exhibition of collaborative paintings with comic artist, Anders Nilsen. Being in North Carolina at the moment, I am missing the opening reception like a total wiener. Check it out, though. I'm definitely getting up there one day this week to have a look at the awesomeness.

No comments: