29 April 2010

You're a master of Karate and friendship for everyone

Hello, all. I hope this blog update finds you well. My sore arms and I are enjoying an open window and some chocolate soy milk after a whole lot of printing. I'm currently working on an art print diptych. I will be printing the eleventh screen tomorrow, and I anticipate a twelfth. Maybe a thirteenth, as well, despite objection from my wrists.
This year, I have received some emails from people inquiring about the process by which I make screen prints.
There's really no right or wrong way to make art, of course. The techniques of people I know range from photo based images meticulously separated in Photoshop, to CMYK with spot colors, to cutting every film from rubylith, to inking films and scratching at them subtractively.
I'm a staunchly analogue screen printer, meaning I do not use a computer to create any of my films or color separations. A big part of it is personal preference. I like to be able to touch and manipulate each film with my hands; that way I feel as though I know exactly what I'm getting.

I am always happy to answer any questions I receive, but in case anyone else was wondering about the process of screen printing, I posted some process pictures on gigposters.com. Check it out!
While you're there, be sure to look at all the other process threads, too. I personally can't get enough of them.

No comments: